Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No sew costume goodness!

I'm sure as some of you know, I've been dabbling in sewing. So far, I can hem something, make some clothe wipes, a few crooked bibs, but I'm sill amateur, maybe lower than that, if it's possible. Anyways, I decided a while ago that I wanted to make A's halloween costume. One-because all the affordable costumes I could find were pretty generic and two- because my mom made almost all my Halloween costumes up until 5th or 6th grade and they were always so original. So this Halloween, I decided A will be..... A CUPCAKE!! Can I sew a costume of the caliber? heck no, She'd probably wind up looking like a fabric scrap pile. Then I found this site. It's wonderful. It shows you step by step how to make a no sew Halloween costume that is almost an exact replica of Pottery Barns ( which retails for $60). So, I decided to give it a shot. I had left over pink and brown felt from a project I did months ago, I already had a hot glue gun, so the only supplies I had to pick up were-glitter glitter spray,ribbon, and blanket bunting. On her site she used a ruffled fabric but since we only have a Walmart out here in the boonies, I could only find blanket binding. I used a hot glue gun and made ruffles for the collar though (picture to follow). I only used one layer for frosting since A is only 9 months old and I also added some " cell phone bling"-those little sticky tiny fake diamonds people put on cellphones and I made the dress part the same color as the frosting so it looked a little more even. Those little sticky tiny fake diamonds people put on cellphones. It was pretty simple and the only snags I found were 1. after I made the rufle for the collar and glued it on the inside , I could no longer slip it on A's head and had to cut the back, attach ribbon and make it a tie on( turns out that made the costume more simple). I'm currently working on the " cherry on top" which is turning out to be more work than the rest of the costume. I would highly recommend checking out  http://lemontreecreations.blogspot.com, her crafts are incredible and her instructions are so easy to follow!  and finally; THE COSTUME ...okay it's actually up there ^^^ Because I don't know how to get it right here lol and it's not as glitter as it looks in this picture. I'll post an updated one as soon as I charge the battery for my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment